Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Goodbye Maggie



This past weekend, one of my oldest friends passed away. My cat Maggie was a source of great inspiration to me over the 18 years that I knew her… This collage is just a slice of the many drawings I’ve made of her over the years. The poem, by Christina Rossetti, is a comfort for me now, as I come to grips with the fact that Mags isn’t here anymore. I keep seeing her ghost out of the corner of my eye, thinking I need to feed her or put some water in her bowl, wanting to pat her head as she follows me around the house.
Some may think it’s silly to grieve over a pet, so I guess I’m the silliest of them all. I loved her so much.
Thanks for reading and following… Today, a small bit of happiness comes from knowing people are responding to the work I do, and I really appreciate you guys now more than ever.
Thank you! xoxo

Here's a transcript of the poem:

When I am dead, my dearest,
Sing no sad songs for me;
Plant thou no roses at my head,
Nor shady cypress tree:
Be the green grass above me
With showers and dewdrops wet;
And if thou wilt, remember,
And if thou wilt, forget.

I shall not see the shadows,
I shall not feel the rain;
I shall not hear the nightingale
Sing on, as if in pain:
And dreaming through the twilight
That doth not rise nor set,
Haply I may remember,
And haply may forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...